Home / Blog Detail


You need a valid visa to visit Australia. There are several categories of Australian visas. What type of visa do I need to apply for? It depends on your purpose of the visit and what type of visa you need to get to enter Australia. You can hire an Australia immigration agency that can help you to make the right decision. Let’s discuss Australian visa types:

Visitor visas

It is a short-term visa for travelers who have no intention to settle in Australia. This visa further has sub-classes including- 

  • Medical Treatment Visa (Subclass 602)
  • Electronic Travel Authority (Subclass 601)
  • e Visitor (Subclass 651)
  • Tourist Visa (Subclass 600)

Study and training visas

Would you love to study in Australia?  International students need study visas to get admission into an Australian university or institute. In the case of underage international students, parents or guardians also need to get a visa to visit with students. Sub-classes of this type of visa are:

  • Student Visa (Subclass 500)
  • Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)
  • Training Visa (Subclass 407)

Parent visas

If you are parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens then you can apply for a parent visa. This visa is divided into the following types:

  • Parent Visa (Subclass 103)
  • Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 804)
  • Contributory Aged Parent Visas (Subclass 884 and subclass 864)
  • Parent Visa (Subclass 173) – Temporary
  • Parent Visa (Subclass 143)

Family visas

A family visa is for the minor or adult dependent relatives, or carers of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens. It is divided into:

  • Adoption Visa (Subclass 102)
  • Aged Dependent Relative Visas (Subclass 114 and subclass 838)
  • Carer Visas (Subclass 836 and subclass 116)
  • Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445)
  • New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship Visa (Subclass 461) – Temporary
  • Orphan Relative Visas (Subclass 117 and subclass 837)
  • Remaining Relative Visas (Subclass 115 and subclass 835)

Partner visas

This category of visas is issued to the de facto partners, spouses, or prospective spouses of Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens. Categories of this type of visa are:

  • Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)
  • Provisional – (Subclass 309)
  • Migrant – (Subclass 100)
  • Temporary – (Subclass 820)
  • Permanent – (Subclass 801)

Humanitarian visas 

Australia also issues visas to refugees. Such applicants have to fulfill Australia’s protection obligations. Consult immigration and visa consultants to get perfect guidance on getting a humanitarian visa. This visa is further divided into :

  • Refugee Visa (Sub-classes 200, 201, 203, and 204)
  • Global Special Humanitarian (Subclass 202)
  • Protection Visa (Subclass 866)
  • Temporary Protection Visa (Subclass 785)
  • Safe Haven Enterprise Visa (Subclass 790)

Bridging visas

This type of visa holder can stay in Australia by the time immigration application is under process. This visa is divided into:

  • A – BV (Subclass 010)
  • B – BVB (Subclass 020)
  • C – BVC (Subclass 030)
  • E – BVE (Subclass 050 and 051)

Work visas

Work visas allow visa holders to work in Australia legally. Depending on the type of work, they are divided into:

  • Global Talent Visa (Subclass 858)
  • Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)
  • Permanent Residence Visa (Subclass 191) – Skilled Regional
  • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187)
  • Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional Visa (Subclass 494) – Provisional
  • Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
  • Nominated Visa (Subclass 190)
  • Recognized-Graduate Visa (Subclass 476)
  • Regional Visa (Subclass 887)
  • Work Regional Visa (Subclass 491) – Provisional
  • Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408)
  • Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)
  • Work Visa (Subclass 403) – International Relations
  • Work Visa (Subclass 400) – Short Stay Specialist
  • Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)

Business and investment visas

If you are a businessman and wish to operate an existing or new business and an invest in Australia. You need to get a business and investment visa. This type of visa is divided into:

  • Business Innovation and Investment Visa (Subclass 888) – Permanent
  • Innovation and Investment Visa (Subclass 188) – Provisional
  • Owner (Subclass 890)
  • Talent Visa (Subclass 132) – Permanent
  • Investor Visa (Subclass 891)
  • State or Territory Sponsored Business Owner Visa (Subclass 892)
  • State or Territory Sponsored Investor Visa (Subclass 893)