Everyone would like to get Australian citizenship. After becoming an Australian citizen, you can live and work there without any restrictions. As an Australian citizen, it is important to understand and be committed to the values of the country and its people. Here is a guide to how to get Australian citizenship.
What do you need to do to become an Australian Citizen?
The first step for becoming an Australian citizen, you have to lodge a completed application form and pay the applicable fee to the Department of Home Affairs. The department will contact you for the further process after getting your application. It depends on your application whether you are invited to participate in an Australian citizenship ceremony or not. The ceremony comprises the Australian Citizenship Pledge.
Let’s have a look at three ways to become an Australian citizen:
- The first way is citizenship by birth. In this case, you must be born in Australia and one or both of your parents must be Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia.
- You can become an Australian citizen by descent. You will generally be granted Australian citizenship if you are the child of an Australian citizen regardless of the place of birth.
- A non-citizen of Australia can apply to become an Australian citizen by the grant.
What are the requirements for Australian Citizenship?
You need to meet certain Australian citizenship requirements. Which are the following.
- You must be an Australian permanent resident
- You must cross 16 years of age when applying for permanent citizenship.
- Your staying period in Australia must be four years that also includes 12 months as a permanent resident.
- Have good character history.
- You should have adequate knowledge of your responsibilities and privileges as an Australian citizen.
Here is a list of privileges that you have as an Australian citizen:
- You can participate in the voting process of Federal and State or territory elections and a referendum
- You are eligible to apply for work in the Australian Public Service or the Australian Defense Force
- Can be part of election to parliament
- You are free to apply for an Australian passport and re-enter Australia
- If you are residing overseas then can obtain help from an Australian official
- You can register your child as an Australian citizen whether born overseas
Test for Australian Citizenship
A citizenship test is designed to examine the applicant’s knowledge and understanding of Australian society, privileges of being an Australian citizen and intend to reside and work in Australia, values and history. The test also checks the applicant’s English language abilities. Look for an experienced immigration consultant to assist you through the complexities of the Australian immigration process.