Home / Blog Detail


International students who choose Canada to study, get open work permits after completing their graduation program. They are eligible to work for any employer, anywhere and for as many hours they wish to work. It is the easiest way to get Canadian work experience. Work permit duration is between eight months to three years. After getting Canadian work experience, it opens the door for Canadian PR for students. So, PGWP also works as a PR pathway for international students.  

Also check this top benefits of studying in Canada for international students

Who can apply for PGWP?

International students who are 18 years old and have studied a full-time course in Canada of at least 8 months duration, can get a post-graduation work permit without any problem. The second important thing is that the study program that you have chosen must be completed at a Designated Learning Institute. You must apply within 180 days of the completion of your study program. In case an applicant applying from within Canada then they must have valid status at the time of applying for a post-graduate work permit. They need to get visitor status if their study permit has expired or is near to expiration. If applicants apply for a PGWP before the expiration of their study permit then they are eligible to begin working full time immediately. No matter if their application is under processing or approved. From overseas applicants may also apply. 

Study levels eligible for PGWP

There are some specific study levels and programs that are eligible for PGWPs. Let’s have a look at them.

  • A post-secondary school that is public like a college, university, trade/technical school or CEGEP in Quebec
  • Post-secondary schools are privately managed but follow the same rule as public schools. Note that this condition applies to certain institutions in Quebec
  • In Quebec private secondary or post-secondary schools offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer
  • Canadian private schools can legally award degrees under provincial law only for those enrolled in study programs leading to a degree as authorized by the province.

If you enrolled yourself in any of the upper mentioned institute types then you are eligible to apply for a post-graduate work permit.